Hope for Problem Gambling
Gambling is risking something of value on an event or award that is determined mostly by chance.
There are many forms of Problem Gambling. It can include lottery, lottery scratch offs, pull-tabs, raffle tickets, bingo, sports betting, slot machines, card and table games, stock market speculation, internet cafés, internet poker and bingo sites, and betting on game-pools to name a few. If any of these is causing an undue burden in your life, this might be something to look into.
If someone’s gambling is causing problems for themselves or others, there is hope and help. The first step is seeing that there might be a problem. Many people who deal with Problem Gambling are not fully aware of its impact until they get help. One of the best ways to help a Problem Gambler is to help yourself. Education is a great place to start.
If you think gambling is causing a problem, it probably is. Each person is different and their disease is going to be unique as well. Some signs and symptoms to look for:
- Spending more time or money gambling than planned.
- Making excuses or lying to cover up gambling.
- Feeling guilty or worried about gambling.
- You or your family going without because the money has been spent on gambling.
- Trying to gamble to win back losses.
- Losing interest in friends, family, or other activities.
- Borrowing or taking money from your friends, family, or workplace.
- Missing money or other money problems.
- A drastic change in mood particularly as it relates to how one's time and money is spent.
How The Recovery Center can help with Gambling Addiction
Here at The Recovery Center we offer screening for potential problem gambling and education regarding problem gambling. We have four specially trained gambling addiction counselors ready to assist with gambling addiction through individual counseling.
Get our handbook "Problem Gambling - Hope, Help & Healing" We can help you with your gambling issues or get you information on how to best help your loved start on the path to recovery.